About York County Library
The mission of the York County Library is to enrich and sustain the lives of the people of York County by providing library services that meet their informational, recreational, and lifelong learning needs.
York County Library
138 East Black Street
Rock Hill, SC 29730
Hours and Notices
Overview of the Library
Serving York County, S.C., the York County Library is headquartered in Rock Hill, with branches in Clover, Fort Mill, Lake Wylie and York. In addition, the Library provides its Bookmobile, which visits nursing homes, daycares and other locations throughout the York County community, and homebound and outreach services.
Continuing its commitment to learning for education and entertainment, the York County Library offers a variety of free programs for adults, teenagers and children. From local author visits to theatre performances, everyone can find something to meet his or her interests. The Library also provides classes for learning to use computers and the Internet.
Along with its collection of books, periodicals, audio books, DVDs and video cassettes, and more, the York County Library offers numerous electronic resources through its website and its numerous subscription databases, most of which can be accessed around the clock from any computer. With computer terminals featuring Internet access, educational software and more available at the main library and each branch, York County Library is well-equipped to meet the needs of the community in this digital age.
York County libraries are alive and growing!
The following activities took place at York County Libraries from July 1, 2008 through June 30, 2009:
Provided the following services:
- Served 701,697 visitors
- Circulated 1,200,272 items
- Saw a 12% increase in system-wide circulation
- Assisted users with 207,805 reference inquiries
- Provided public computer access to 158,626 patrons
- Offered 1,809 programs and class visits with a total attendance of 140,272
Saw the following changes, events, and projects:
- Rearranged the entire first floor of the Rock Hill library:
- Moved Administrative and Support Services off-site to expand public service space
- Created an adult "quiet" reading area
- Added an adult reader's advisory desk
- Moved adult paperbacks to the first floor
- Added second service desk to the Children's Department
- Created a large "Activities Room" to facilitate library programs and public meetings
- Received funding from York County Council to replace the heating and air conditioning system, repair and replace uneven sidewalks and exterior stairs, and upgrade the elevator
- Completed a "Bucks for Books" fund-raising campaign to raise funds for the purchase of library materials
- Added additional Bookmobile stops around York County
- Increased Outreach and Bookmobile Services personnel
- Increased personnel at the Lake Wylie Branch
- Added a professional Branch Children's Librarian position
- Added a "Webmaster" to the Technology Services personnel
- Celebrated the 10th Birthday of the Fort Mill Branch located in Baxter Village
- Planned for implementation of a new Integrated Library System on October 15, 2009
- Joined the SCLENDS (South Carolina Library Evergreen Network Delivery System), a consortium, which will give access to the holdings of 9 other libraries to York County library users