Community Relations Assistant
York County Library, Rock Hill, SC
Application Deadline: open until filled
Starting Salary, Benefits and Hours: Beginning salary is $13212 for 20 hours per week. Fringe benefits package includes State retirement, vacation and sick leave.
General Statement of Job: Under limited supervision, performs various community relations and marketing activities to effectively promote Library services and events, special childrenís programs, and Friends of the Library activities. Assists in writing creative and effective news copy and other public relations materials. Prepares and distributes a variety of promotional materials. Assists in the planning and presentation of Library events and programs. Assists in the coordination of membership services for the Friends of the York County Library program. Reports to the Community Relations Department Manager.
A complete copy of the job description is available for review in the Administrative Offices of the Headquarters Library in Rock Hill, and in each Branch Library,or on the Libraryís website at www.yclibrary.org.
Minimum Training and Experience: Requires a Bachelorís degree in marketing, public relations, mass communications, or related field or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities. Must possess a valid state driverís license.
Application Deadline: Applications may be obtained at any York County Public Library. Personal resume encouraged in addition to application. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of a York County Library employment application. Incomplete applications will not be accepted. A seperate application must be submitted for each position.
Completed application and resume may be hand-delivered or mailed to: York County Library, Attn: Shasta Brewer, Deputy Director; PO Box 10032, Rock Hill, SC 29731. Applications accepted until the position is filled. Due to the large volume of applicants we will be unable to answer questions concerning the status of the application.
YORK COUNTY LIBRARY
CLASS TITLE: COMMUNITY RELATIONS ASSISTANT
COMMUNITY RELATIONS DEPARTMENT
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF CLASS
Under limited supervision, performs various community relations and marketing activities to effectively promote Library services and events, special childrenís programs, and Friends of the Library activities. Assists in writing creative and effective news copy and other public relations materials. Prepares and distributes a variety of promotional materials. Assists in the planning and presentation of Library events and programs. Assists in the coordination of membership services for the Friends of the York County Library program. Reports to the Community Relations Department Manager and Manager of Childrenís Services.
The tasks listed below are those that represent the majority of the time spent working in this class. Management may assign additional tasks related to the type of work of the class as necessary.
- Assists with the planning and implementation of the Library systemís community relations and marketing functions; assists with writing, editing, and distributing news releases and public service announcements; compiles press packets; prepares periodic bulk mailings on programs and services; labels and assembles mailings.
- Assists with clerical routines associated with childrenís activities especially related to Patchwork Tales Storytelling Festival, Summer Reading Program, ChristmasVille, and other special activities; compiles press packets; prepares periodic bulk mailings on programs and services; labels and assembles mailings; assists with updating childrenís section on Library website.
- Assists in implementing the Friends of the York County Library program services and activities; assists with preparing special promotional materials for print; maintains membership records; prepares routine and periodic mailings; assists with preparation and staffing of Friendsí special events and fund-raisers; oversees volunteers; attends meetings of the Friends Executive Board.
- Assists in selecting and maintaining inventory of books and materials and keeps records for the on-going Friends books sale in the Library.
- Assists in coordinating sales of merchandise and maintaining inventory of merchandise and sales records for the Friends of the Library and Patchwork Tales Storytelling Festival performers.
- Designs and prepares a variety of materials to promote internal staff communications; monitors the suggestion box; conducts staff surveys; prepares staff events and calendars.
- Works with various departments to develop and promote in-house displays.
- Performs related administrative tasks; maintains file on all public relations materials produced and/or printed in the media; assists with maintaining phone messages and other information.
- Participates in special community events to promote library services.
- Performs various other departmental activities; maintains monthly statistical information; coordinates the distribution of materials as needed to branches and departments within the Library system and to community organizations; answers the telephone and provides information regarding Library programs and events.
- Keeps department manager informed of issues and concerns; provides input and assistance in overseeing the daily operations of the department.
- Attends meetings and workshops as required; serves on library committees.
- Receives, reviews, prepares and/or submits various records and reports including news copy, posters, fliers, brochures, newsletters, bibliographies, book lists, surveys, meeting minutes, memos, correspondence, and related documents or reports.
- Assists in ordering and maintaining inventory of income tax forms for Library customers.
- Assists other departments in preparing book plates, labels and covers for audio-visual materials, and other items as needed.
- Operates a variety of equipment such as personal computers and related software, printers, audio-visual equipment, digital camera, telephone, copier, fax machine, calculator, scanner, docu-bind machine, laminator, and other office equipment as needed.
- Interacts and communicates with various groups and individuals such as other branch and department members and managers, and employees, volunteers, commercial printing companies, community organizations, community leaders, Friendsí Executive Board members, media representative, and the general public.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
INVOLVEMENT WITH DATA, PEOPLE, AND THINGS
Data Involvement: Requires the ability to compare and/or judge the readily observable functional, structural or compositional characteristics (whether similar to or divergent from obvious standards) of data, people or things.
People Involvement: Requires speaking or signaling to people to convey or exchange information of a general or technical nature. May give direction or assignments to helpers or assistants.
Involvement with Things: Requires handling or using machines requiring moderate instruction and experience such as computers, and software programs such as word processing, spreadsheets or custom applications.
Reasoning Requirements: Requires performing semi-skilled work involving set procedures and rules but with frequent problems.
Mathematical Requirements: Requires using basic algebra involving variables and formulas and/or basic geometry involving plane and solid figures, circumferences, areas and volumes, and/or computing discounts and interest rates.
Language Requirements: Requires ability to read a variety of reference materials, policy and procedure manuals, computer manuals, indexes, etc. Requires the ability to prepare routine and statistical reports, budget requests, correspondence, etc. with proper format, punctuation, spelling and grammar, using all parts of speech. Requires the ability to speak with and before others with poise, voice control and confidence.
Language Ability: Requires ability to read a variety of reference materials, policy and procedure manuals, computer manuals, indexes, etc. Requires the ability to prepare routine reports, notices, etc. with proper format, punctuation, spelling and grammar, using all parts of speech. Requires the ability to speak with and before others with poise, voice control and confidence.
Mental Requirements: Requires the ability to apply principles of rational systems to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists; to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagrammatic or schedule form. Requires the ability to apply influence systems in managing staff members; to learn and understand relatively complex principles and techniques; to make independent judgments in absence of supervision; to acquire knowledge of topics related to primary occupation. Must have the ability to comprehend and interpret received information and to understand and implement basic office machinery functions.
VOCATIONAL/EDUCATIONAL AND EXPERIENCE PREPARATION
Vocational/Educational Preparation: Requires a Bachelorís degree in marketing, public relations, mass communications, or related field or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities.
Special Certifications and Licenses: Must possess valid state driverís license.
Experience Requirements: Requires experience in marketing, public relations and communications. Knowledge of Microsoft Office products also required. Familiarity with Web design is highly desirable.
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITES ACT REQUIREMENTS
Physical and Dexterity Requirements: Must be physically able to operate a variety of machines and equipment including general office equipment, computer, calculator, telephone, etc. Must be able to exert up to 25 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time, but may involve walking or standing for periods of time. Must be able to lift and/or carry weights of 25 pounds.
Environmental Hazards: The job risks exposure to no known environmental hazards.
Sensory Requirements: The job requires normal visual acuity and field of vision, hearing and speaking abilities, and color perception.
JUDGMENTS AND DECISIONS
Judgments and Decisions: Responsible for actions of others, requiring almost constant decisions affecting co-workers, customers, volunteers or others in the general public; works in a moderately fluid environment with guidelines and rules, but frequent variations from the routine.
York County Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer. ADA requires the County to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Prospective and current employees are invited to discuss accommodations.