York County Library, Rock Hill, SC
Application Deadline: open until filled
Starting Salary, Benefits and Hours: Beginning salary is $11.37 an hour for 20 hours per week. Fringe benefits package includes State retirement, vacation and sick leave. Work schedule includes night and weekend hours.
General Statement of Job: Under general supervision, provides routine security work to protect library staff and property, to maintain order and to ensure the Library is used as intended. Ensures the safety and security of patrons inside of Library. Performs related work as required. Reports to the Branch Manager.
A complete copy of the job description is available for review in the Administrative Offices of the Headquarters Library in Rock Hill, in each Branch Library, or on the Library's Web site at www.yclibrary.org.
Minimum Training and Experience: Requires a high school diploma with some experience in security or law enforcement operations, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities. Must possess First Aid and CPR certifications.
Application Deadline: Applications may be obtained at any York County Public Library. Personal resume encouraged in addition to application. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of a York County Library employment application. Incomplete applications will not be accepted. A separate application must be submitted for each position. Completed application and resume may be hand delivered or mailed to York County Library; Attn: Shasta Brewer, Deputy Director; PO Box 10032; Rock Hill, SC 29731. Applications are accepted until the position is filled. Due to the large volume of applicants we will be unable to answer questions concerning the status of an application.
YORK COUNTY LIBRARY
CLASS TITLE: BRANCH LIBRARY MANAGER II
EXTENSION SERVICES DEPARTMENT
GENERAL DESCRIPTION OF CLASS
Under general supervision provides routine security work to protect library staff and property, to maintain order and to ensure the Library is used as intended. Ensures the safety and security of patrons inside of Library. Performs related work as required. Reports to the Circulation Department Manager.
ESSENTIAL TASKS: The tasks listed below are those that represent the majority of the time spent working in this class. Management may assign additional tasks related to the type of work of the class as necessary.
- Maintains the security and safety of the facility, customers and library personnel.
- Makes regular inspection tours of the building including Children’s Department, Circulation Department, Reference Department (especially the stack areas), Administration and public restrooms.
- Performs security duties, including but not limited to monitoring alarm system, greeting and assisting visitors, maintaining order in the Library at all times, providing escort to employees at night, controlling facility keys, and securing building at closing, etc.
- Apprehends and detains theft suspects; interviews witnesses and complainants.
- Patrols facility for safety hazards and takes appropriate corrective action.
- Insures that all doors are locked and closing procedures have been completed.
- Assures customer compliance with library rules of behavior, maintaining order and discipline, and reporting disturbances, which cannot be dealt with immediately.
- Monitors and patrols the parking lot between 6:00 and 9:00 p.m. to ensure staff members are able to reach their cars safely.
- Remains with children who are awaiting their ride(s) home.
- Prepares daily reports covering activities during the shift.
- Receives and responds to customer and staff inquiries, requests for assistance and complaints, etc.
- Receives and reviews various records and reports including security activity log, schedules, special events, notices, Library use forms, etc.
- Prepares and/or processes security activity log, lost-and-found forms, sign-in sheets, various other forms, records, etc.
- Refers to policies and procedures, regulations, laws, hazardous guidelines, emergency plans, training handbooks, operating guidelines, etc.
- Operates a variety of equipment such as a security camera, computer, copier, calculator, telephone, two-way radio, fax machine, and other general office equipment. Operates fire suppression equipment, first aid equipment, etc., during emergency operations.
- Uses computer and clerical supplies, first aid supplies, protective gear, etc.
- Interacts and communicates with various groups and individuals such as the immediate supervisor, other management staff and employees, co-workers, guests, vendors, emergency response personnel, law enforcement personnel, etc.
- Performs duties, including but not limited to attending meetings, completing forms, copying and filing documents, entering computer data, answering the telephone, preparing I.D. badges, etc.
- Maintains a neat, clean work area.
- Performs related duties as required.
INVOLVEMENT WITH DATA, PEOPLE, AND THINGS
Data Involvement: Requires the ability to compare and/or judge the readily observable functional, structural or compositional characteristics (whether similar to or divergent from obvious standards) of data, people or things.
People Involvement: Requires speaking or signaling to people to convey or exchange information of a general nature.
Involvement with Things: Requires handling or using machines requiring moderate instruction and experience such as computers, and software programs such as word processing, spreadsheets or custom applications.
Reasoning Requirements: Requires performing semi-skilled work involving set procedures and rules but with frequent problems.
Mathematical Requirements: Requires using addition and subtraction, multiplication and division, and/or calculating ratios, rates and percentages.
Language Requirements: Requires ability to read a variety of policies and procedures, technical manuals, safety protocols, etc. Requires the ability to prepare records, reports, etc. with proper format. Requires the ability to speak with and before others with poise, voice control and confidence.
Mental Requirements: Requires the ability to apply rational systems to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists; to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagrammatic, or schedule form.
VOCATIONAL/EDUCATIONAL AND EXPERIENCE PREPARATION
Vocational/Educational Preparation: Requires a high school diploma with some experience in security or law enforcement operations, or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
Special Certifications and Licenses: Must possess First Aid and CPR certifications.
Experience Requirements: Requires some experience in security or law enforcement operations.
AMERICANS WITH DISABILITES ACT REQUIREMENTS
Physical and Dexterity Requirements: Requires the ability to exert moderate, though not constant physical effort, typically involving some combination of climbing and balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, and crawling, and which involves some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of moderate weight (up to 20 pounds) an occasionally heavy weight (up to 100 pounds). Must be able to move/restrain persons of varying weights.
Environmental Hazards: The job risks exposure to no known environmental hazards.
Sensory Requirements: The job requires normal visual acuity, field of vision, hearing and speaking, and color perception.
JUDGMENTS AND DECISIONS
Judgments and Decisions:Responsible for guiding others, requiring a few decisions affecting a few co-workers; works in a stable environment with clear and uncomplicated written/oral instructions but with some variations from the routine.
York County Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer. ADA requires the County to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities. Prospective and current employees are invited to discuss accommodations.