York County Main Library, 138 E. Black St., Rock Hill
Monday - Thursday
9:10 a.m. - 7:50 p.m.
Friday - Saturday
9:10 a.m. - 5:50 p.m.
Sunday (Sept. - May)
2:10 p.m. - 5:50 p.m.
The Technology Center provides public access to 25 computers for Internet access, Microsoft Office software, reference, and online research databases. These include 23 60-minute computers and two 15-minute "express" computers.
One computer without Internet access is available for typing letters, resumes, PowerPoint presentations, spreadsheets, etc. and items can be printed. Software including Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, and Publisher will be available on this computer. No library card is required.
Printing is available from library computers at the cost of 15˘ per page for black and white prints and 25˘ per page for color prints.
The Technology Center was created in part by a generous local donation and a Gates Learning Foundation Grant. Smaller Technology Centers are located at the Fort Mill and York public libraries, with additional Internet-access computers available at Clover and Lake Wylie.
Using the Technology Center
- Persons over age 18 must have a library card with them in "good standing" (fines must be under $10 and/or not over 90 days old) to use a computer with Internet access. Those age 18 and under must have a library card to use a computer, and must have Internet permission to access the Internet. Children under 10 must also be accompanied by a parent or guardian at the computer at all times or use a computer beside the child if both need to use a computer.
- Patrons wishing to share a computer must both have library cards with them in “good standing” (fines must be under $10 and/or not over 90 days old).
- Permission to use the Internet can be given when you apply for a library card, or through an Internet permission form, available at all York County Library locations.
- To use a computer, sign in at the Technology Center desk, where you'll be given a PIN for the next available computer.
- There is a 60-minute limit on computer use when the Technology Center is open, with a total of 180-minutes (3 hours) of use allowed per day, per person.
- See our Computer Use Policy for more details (requires Adobe Acrobat Reader.
Computer Classes in the Training Lab (First Floor)
The York County Library also provides a classroom environment for training, provided by library staff members, in the use of computers, the Internet, and some Microsoft Office products. For available classes and times, see the Computer Class Schedule.
- Classes are free and limited to 18 people, one per computer.
- Pre-registration is required. To register, call (803) 981-5845.
- A waiting list of 5 will be taken. Please call to cancel your registration if you cannot attend.
- Late arrivals may not be admitted into the classroom.
- Vacancies may be offered to patrons in the library.