|Join the Friends||Book Sales||Volunteer||Donate|
Volunteer at the Library
Friends of the Library volunteers support the library through fundraising and advocacy, providing assistance with book sales, special projects, and programs. To volunteer for any of the opportunities listed below, you must be a Friends of the Library member. Members are only contacted to help with projects if they have indicated an interest in volunteering.
To join the Friends, fill out a membership form (requires Adobe Acrobat Reader) and return it with your dues to any York County Library branch location. Membership forms are also available at all branches of the York County Library or by calling (803) 981-5837. Please see the Friends home page for more details.
Friendsí Workroom Volunteer (no available openings at this time)
- Sort and box books for book sales in the Friendsí workroom at the Main Library in Rock Hill.
- Must attend a training session before beginning work.
- Must be able to come on a regular basis for several hours per month.
- Must be able to lift light loads, bend, and stoop.
Friends Books on Main Staff
- Staff and operate the Friends' used book store in Rock Hill.
- May require stocking shelves, moving boxes, or setting up tables for special sales.
Branch Library Book Sales Staff
- Set up and clean up for book sales.
- Cashiers and general book sale helpers needed during book sale hours.
- Additional volunteers needed to unpack books and set up prior to the sale and to pack up leftover books and clean up after the sale.
Online Book Sales
- Determine value of books for online sales by checking websites.
- List items for sale on appropriate websites.
- Provide "customer service" — monitor sale items and answer questions.
- Package items that sell and arrange for shipping.
- Some tasks require computer and Internet experience.
Other Short-Term Opportunities
- Help set up and work at meetings, such as the annual December volunteer appreciation meeting.
- Help prepare books and set up for holiday sale.
- Help provide cookies and other refreshments for events and meetings.